Inspiring Teach Meet at St Vincent's College

Second day into the summer term having moved our students up a year in preparation for September, I was on my way to a Teach Meet at St Vincent's College at 4pm. I had always enjoyed this type of meeting and expected to come away after 2 hours feeling that I had learnt some new things to try and confirmation that what I was already doing was right.
However what I didn't expect was how I felt when I left!
Session 1 Bridging the Literacy Gap for those entering KS3 not at ARE. L.Ferrier and K. Annandale
Fantastic presentation that reassured me the strategies in place for our students were the same as other schools and achieving similar results. Some new techniques I really want to try that was backed up with research and first hand experience of working with them.
Session 2 Raising Boy's Achievement. Gary Wilson
Another fantastic presentation that provided new things to try inspired by Gary whose experience of working in many schools across the UK also provided lots of stories that rang true for all of us.
Key Note Speaker Sir John Jones.
I loved Sir John's presentation! He made me laugh, he made me really think, he filled me with hope for the future, my future, the young people I am privileged to teach futures and most of he made me want to be better. His passion for our profession and for the young people we are entrusted with was catching. He entertained, inspired and challenged all of us to raise our game. Not to be "a counter of heads" led by data but to be "a counter of hearts".
I left feeling that I had met someone truly inspirational. Someone that I wanted to be like. Someone that could, if I tried really hard, make a difference.
If you have the opportunity to hear Sir John speak I would say grab it with both hands!



Comments