Picture the scene....scripted conversations

Scripted conversations...I don't need them! I've always been good at building relationships, students do what I ask them to. No thanks Pivotal...I've got this one!
How wrong could I be?! Picture the scene: Monday AM registration:
Me: "Why do I always have to have the same conversation with you every day? You never do what I ask you to. You know the rules, put your phone away now, unless you want me to take it for the day."
My rant continues, I am loosing control of my emotions and all resemblance of dignity has long gone! It didn't end well for the student or me and we both suffered.

FLASHBACK to pivotal training - scripted conversations.
"Calm dignified voice using language delivered with a deadpan, monotonous voice whilst seeing an unemotional face."
The exact opposite to my Monday morning encounter.
FAST FORWARD to Wednesday AM registration ( It took me a day to practice!)
Me: "Good morning, I notice that you have your phone out. You know we need to put it away before registration.
(I walked away)
"If you choose not to I will need to speak to you after registration. Don't forget last week I didn't need to ask you to put it away once - let's get back to that OK?"

It worked!
Scripted conversations, thanks Pivotal, I think I've got this now!

Comments

  1. I have tried this when confiscating phones and fizzy drinks. The action of giving the pupil a choice is powerful. Reminding them of the rule and withdrawing gives the pupil to take time to make the right decision and hand over the item/ stop the behaviour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment