Wow! Pivotal Greeting Trial

What a difference a small change can make!


So like many of you, I watched the Paul Dix clip yesterday. I don't shake children's hands normally and so this was going to be something new. If I am completely honest, I wasn't sure how comfortable I felt about trying this as I couldn't really see what difference it would make. 

I wanted to print a snazzy sign to offer pupils a small choice in case a handshake made them feel uncomfortable too. I've seen some great examples on twitter. Sadly the printer didn't connect in time, so the pupils were confronted by a hand drawn sign. 

My tutees were the first to try. Interestingly, a few had a very good handshake and now I think about it they often play sport and may shake hands regularly as part of this. The fist bump was a good option for the more cautious, whilst the competitive pupils were ready for a game of rock paper scissors. What was genuinely fun, were the few times we were locked in a stale mate as every match of rock paper scissors was a draw. It left me and my tutees laughing as they were stuck in a never-ending greeting. I'd like to think I know my tutees so well that this idea would make no difference. In fact they were beaming as they realised something different was going on. 

For my next class of Year 9s, I continued this way. The pupils responded well and there were lots of smiles and greetings as they made their choices. The most interesting thing here was what they said to me once I'd greeted the last pupil. "are you really happy today miss?"
"Have you won money on the Heart phone in?"
"Are we your favourite class?"

What an interesting reaction when you consider that I greet them every lesson and thought I was doing a good job of it. I guess a less personal greeting doesn't really scratch the surface so spending a few more seconds per pupil has more of a difference. 

Year 10s were next and much like the previous groups they responded well. It made jewellery and chewing gum reminders much less confrontational. One pupil didn't feel they could join in so they did it via a wave. 

Have fun trying your greetings out!

LWR

Comments