The Power of Discussion.



So recently the geography department have been trialling something a little different. I mentioned it in briefing but 8.30am is sometimes not the best time to be hit with a new idea.
Although only one week into our new timetable we decided to test our new format for observations and LWR was first up! JAH and I carried out a joint observation of a lesson that would be typical of any geography lesson seen in the geography department on any given day. Having viewed the lesson and already picked up ways I would like to further embed vocabulary usage within my own lesson, John and I turned our focus towards departmental improvements based on the lesson we had viewed. These would hopefully be in the form of small wins, which are easy to implement and impactful on student progress.
With that in mind the next day I was due to teach a year 10 class the same topic. I had set my sites on trying to give students a context, a hook, a reason to be learning about longshore drift (That well known exciting topic that we all know students can’t wait to learn about…). It came in the form of a simple starter activity.




Now it wasn’t necessarily the slide that made us go “WOW, this has changed how we teach!!” It was the discussions that JAH, LWR and I had afterwards that were the most interesting (in what is usually called the “observation de-brief”). We talked about changes being made to KS3 lessons with the aim of engaging students and gauging better how much they already know. We chatted about how we wanted the students to become experts in geography and more importantly we talked about actual changes to lessons that would facilitate that. We discussed the merit of baseline tests for year 7s and how maybe they know more than we think they do when they come to our first lesson. The slide above revealed that many year 10 students actually already knew the 3 keywords which were a focus of the lesson and with that knowledge I recognised I could pitch the lesson higher and progress students on quicker! J WIN!
It is fair to say we left the “observation de-brief” feeling inspired and motivated. I think even at one point someone said “I could stay here till 6 to chat about this!!” Needless to say we didn’t stay until 6 but the 45 minutes we did sit down for were valuable and will continue to shape our lessons into the future.

Author FLT

Comments